Elgin Construction Accident Lawyer

If you have been injured in a construction accident, you may be entitled to more than workers' compensation benefits. If the injury was caused by someone who does not work for your employer, you may be able to file a personal injury claim against the at-fault party. This is known as a "third-party claim."

At the Law Office of James P. Leahy in Elgin, Illinois, I offer a free initial consultation to answer your questions about workers' compensation and third-party claims. I will give you an honest evaluation of your case and discuss your legal options so that you can make informed decisions about what next steps you want to take.

Illinois Third-Party Claims and Construction Accidents

In exchange for workers' compensation benefits, you are not allowed to sue your employer for on-the-job injuries or work-related illnesses, except in cases of extreme negligence. However, you can file a personal injury claim against third parties who injure you. Examples of third parties include:

  • The owner of a construction site
  • An equipment manufacturer
  • A subcontractor working on the same site
  • Another driver who injured you in a car accident
  • The general contractor or site supervisor who may be responsible for OSHA violations

Workers' compensation benefits are limited and do not include compensation for pain and suffering. A personal injury lawsuit allows you to seek compensation for all of the damages you have suffered from an accident, including pain and suffering.

To protect your rights, you should contact a lawyer as soon as possible so that all potential defendants can be identified and evidence of liability can be preserved.

Contact Illinois Construction Injury Attorney James P. Leahy

I offer a free initial consultation to new clients. To speak to an Elgin construction accident attorney, contact me by e-mail or call my office at 847-348-8692 (toll free at 888-596-0289).