Dedicated to Helping You Heal BOOK YOUR FREE CONSULTATION

Bicycle Accidents Attorney in Elgin, Illinois

Were You Injured in A Bike Accident?

In Illinois, bicyclists have a legal right to use the right traffic lane unless they impede traffic. If you are injured because the driver of a four-wheeled vehicle did not respect your rights to the road, you may be entitled to compensation.

At James P. Leahy Attorney At Law in Elgin, Illinois, I offer a free initial consultation to answer your questions and discuss your legal options if you have been injured in a bicycle accident. I also handle cases of bicyclist death.

The Rights and Responsibilities of Bicycle Riders

Bicyclists are required to follow the same traffic rules as automobiles. Unless you are walking your bike, you are not supposed to ride on sidewalks. You are also not allowed to impede traffic, which generally means you cannot force following vehicles to slow down more than 15 mph under the speed limit. In other words, if you are driving 15 miles an hour in the right lane in a 30-mile-an-hour zone, the cars behind you have to either slow down or pass safely.

Pursue Fair Compensation


Accidents can occur when a car passes too closely to a bicycle or when a car strikes a bike from behind. In cases like these, it’s important to contact an attorney as soon as possible so that evidence such as witness statements and damage to the car and bike can be preserved.

As a bicyclist, you can file a personal injury claim against the insurance company of the vehicle that hit you. If you are the victim of a hit-and-run accident, or if the other driver is uninsured or underinsured, you can file a claim against your own UM/UIM coverage. Your auto insurance will cover you when you are injured in an accident involving a motor vehicle, whether you are driving your own vehicle, a rental car, a bicycle or you are a pedestrian.

Contact Illinois Bike Injury Lawyer James P. Leahy

I offer a free initial consultation to new clients. To speak to an Elgin bicycle accident lawyer, contact me by email or call my office.