Dedicated to Helping You Heal BOOK YOUR FREE CONSULTATION
Medical Bill and Health Insurance Claim Form

Who Will Pay My Medical Bills After an Accident?

James P. Leahy Attorney At Law April 10, 2023

An accident can result in minor or severe injuries, hospitalization, or temporary or permanent incapacitation. Depending on the severity of your injuries, getting proper medical treatments can be quite costly. If you or someone close to you were injured in a negligent accident, you are entitled to seek fair financial compensation to cover medical bills and other damages.  

At James P. Leahy Attorney At Law, I give comprehensive legal advice and skilled representation to clients in their accident claims. As an Illinois personal injury attorney, I can analyze the facts of your situation and determine options to recover damages for your medical expenses. My firm proudly serves clients across Elgin, Illinois, and throughout the surrounding areas, including Aurora, St. Charles, and Kane County. 

Understanding Liability for Auto Accidents in Illinois 

Illinois is an at-fault or tort state for auto accidents. According to the state's at-fault laws, the driver who caused the traffic crash (the at-fault party) will hold financial liability for your medical bills, property damages, and other accident-related losses. In order to pursue damages, you can proceed by: 

  • Filing a first-party claim with your own insurance carrier. 

  • Filing a third-party claim against the insurance provider of the at-fault party. 

  • Filing a personal injury lawsuit party the at-fault driver in civil court. 

In order to protect individuals involved in the auto crash, Illinois law mandates every driver to have an insurance policy to help cover the costs incurred as a result of injuries and damages in a traffic crash. 

Illinois Insurance Requirements  

Additionally, motorists in Illinois are required under the law to have liability insurance with the following coverage limits: 

  • $25,000 for bodily injury or death per person in a single accident 

  • $50,000 for bodily injury or death to two or more people in a single accident 

  • $20,000 for property damage in a single accident. 

  • Uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage of $25,000 for bodily injury per person and $50,000 for total bodily injury per accident. 

If you or a loved one were hurt in an accident, you should get in touch with a highly-skilled car accident attorney immediately. Your legal counsel can review every detail of your case and help pursue your rightful financial compensation. 

Will My Car Insurance Cover My Medical Bills?  

Yes, when involved in an accident, your car insurance policy will cover your medical expenses up to the policy’s coverage limits. However, if you’re able to prove that the other driver was at fault for the accident, you can file a third-party claim against their insurance coverage. This way, you can recover compensation to cover your medical bills, lost wages, attorney fees, future medical treatments, and other available damages. 

Do I Have to Use My Own Health Insurance?  

Essentially, your own health insurance coverage remains the first and best option for you to settle your medical costs as soon as possible. However, the health insurance may not be enough to cover all of your medical treatments, including emergency room visits and follow-up treatments. Once you receive the initial treatments, you can file a personal injury claim against that at-fault driver’s liability insurance coverage. 

What If I Don’t Have Health Insurance?  

After an accident, you will be the one responsible for your medical bills initially. However, various issues often arise if the injuries are serious and the victim doesn’t have enough money to cover the hospital bills. Unfortunately, you may be unable to purchase health insurance coverage after the accident. 

Rather, you can visit your state's Medicaid office to know about your eligibility for Medicaid. If you’re eligible, Medicaid will cover your medical expenses. Additionally, you can recover financial compensation for your medical bills, ongoing treatments, and other damages if you’re successful with your injury claim or lawsuit against the at-fault party. 

Fight for the Compensation You Deserve  

Getting hurt in an accident is an unsettling experience and will affect your physical, financial, and emotional health. However, you don’t have to face the challenges and financial liability alone. If you were injured in an accident caused by a negligent party and are concerned about who will pay your medical bills, talking with a trusted personal injury attorney is vital for clear direction.  

At James P. Leahy Attorney At Law, I have all the resources to provide for the best interests of accident victims and their families. As your lawyer, I can assess every detail of your accident case and determine the best way to proceed with your claims. In addition, I will continue fighting for your legal rights and help you seek fair financial compensation to cover your medical expenses, lost income, future medical treatments, pain and suffering, and other possible damages.   

Contact me at James P. Leahy Attorney At Law, today to speak with a reliable car accident lawyer. I have the compassionate representation you need in your accident claims. My firm proudly serves clients across Elgin, Illinois, and throughout the surrounding areas, including Aurora, St. Charles, and Kane County.